Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Glazed Watercolor Tiles Envelope (Tutorial by thepostmansknock)

I found this tutorial by Lindsey over at thepostmansknock while looking for envelope / mail art. Here is the link to the tutorial:

Glazed Watercolor Tiles Mail Art Tutorial


Things I used:

  • Embellished Tiles Printable (It is free!)
  • Standard C5 envelope
  • Light source
  • Eraser
  • Mechanical pencil size 0,7
  • Pigment liner size 0,05 
  • Aquarelle colours
  • Artline 400 XF Paint Marker (White)


I loved the look of the tiles so I decided to give it a try, with a few modifications. I don't own any microglaze and I don't have any white ink, so I used the white marker instead.

I used a standard C5 envelope and sketched the printed pattern on it with the help of my lightpad (you can use a bright window or a bright screen, just be careful when doing so). I had to move the pattern to cover the entire envelope. 

I also covered the flap with the pattern, so the back of the envelope will have decoration as well.

When that was done, I used a pigment liner size 0,05 for the line art. Then I painted the pattern with aquarelle colours, I tried to use colours as close to Lindseys as possible but of course you can use whatever you want; pens, markers, ink and so on. 

For the highlights, instead of using white ink like Lindsey, I used a Artline 400 XF Paint Marker. It gives the highlights a sheen!

For me, it was a labour intensive envelope that I created over 2 days. But I think it was worth it 🙂 It looks super good! Thank you for the tutorial and the pattern, Lindsey!


Started the pattern

Pattern done!

Pigment liner / Fine liner

Pigment liner done!

Finally started the painting!

Artline 400 XF Paint Marker

Done! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment